Another example of how online media is unlocking the "long tail" of historical information.
This opens up a great new source of vintage images for use in PowerPoint presentations. They are very hard to find (stock image sites hardly list them).
I like using vintages images:
- Non-disturbing, neutral B&W colors
- Iconic images that have become part of our common culture can get a point across quickly
- It provides a nice conctrast, especially when used in presentations on high-tech subjects
- There are some good examples of concepts that can be explained using vintage images: i.e., the old grocery counter is a much better visualization than a cliche image of a smiling call center rep.
- Vintage images can get across raw emotion, like the image of the children above, much better than searching a stock image site for "happy children"
To search images from the LIFE archive, simply add "source:life" in your Google Images search bar (example: search results for Picasso)